The "All Things Triumph" Public Forum

Sponsored by the Vintage Triumph Register

ATTENTION MEMBERS: For security reasons, the VTR Forum requires separate registration, your membership log-in will not work.

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
2000 MK 2 steering rack vs Stag rack
March 17, 2015
11:54 am
TR3driver

Hi Steve,

Oil is oil; but the additive package is very different between ATF and motor oil. For example, motor oil has additives that try to keep dirt suspended in the oil, so it can be removed by the oil filter. ATF doesn't, so the dirt will settle to the bottom and not circulate forever.

I have to think that, if motor oil were actually better, _some_ auto maker would recommend it for their power steering. But every single system that I know of either uses ATF (of one sort or another), or purpose-made power steering fluid.

Doesn't the 2000 even take different tie rod ends than the Stag? The Stag tie rods look really thick to me, much thicker than TR6 but I have no knowledge of the 2000.

January 18, 2015
2:38 pm
oertwig

Have to have the PAS rack rebuilt on ME 4207. Have read the Stag rack may be somewhat different. There is a place in North Carolina that can rebuild, but have not been quoted price.

Along the line of power steering: a fellow 2000 owner said to use 20-50 oil instead of Type A (Dexron) fluid. Comments?

Forum Timezone: America/Detroit

Most Users Ever Online: 69

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

charley fitch: 448

vila: 65

labelle: 18

donbmw: 12

TR6nITJulius: 12