The "All Things Triumph" Public Forum

Sponsored by the Vintage Triumph Register

ATTENTION MEMBERS: For security reasons, the VTR Forum requires separate registration, your membership log-in will not work.

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Suitable Replacement for a 1969 Spitfire Brake Master Cylinder (Tandem)
August 27, 2016
1:49 pm
CASpitfireGuy
Forum Posts: 1

Good Morning and Happy Saturday Everyone!

I've been having issues with the tandem brake MC in my 1969 Spitfire. Last week after a spirited drive (including a panic stop), I found fluid running down the lower part of the MC (and eventually down my brake pedal the next morning). I couldn't find any leaks at the pipe connections, there was a bit of wetness where the front of the reservoir (facing the engine bay) meets the cylinder itself, but I have had issues with my reservoir cap leaking for years (although it didn't seem to leak from there this time). It has also occurred when I've autocrossed it, so I assume it is sloshing fluid to the cap and then leaking out.

Leaks aside, I've been through three master cylinders since I've bought the car. One failed brand new out of the box (rear circuit wouldn't get pressure), this current one is the second one to leak on me. One was from Victoria British, one was from SpitBits, and the current one was from Moss. Needless to say, I don't trust any of their part suppliers anymore and I am considering going with a suitable modern replacement.

Are there any modern MCs (such as from Wilwood or Tilton) or from a completely different car (such as a Toyota or Datsun) that will mount up to the exiting bracket and pedal while clearing my bonnet? I've read the cylinder from a Datsun 510 will fit, with new, larger pipe fittings. Any suggestions out there? Has anyone tried this? Thanks in advance!

Forum Timezone: America/Detroit

Most Users Ever Online: 69

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

charley fitch: 446

vila: 65

labelle: 17

donbmw: 12

TR6nITJulius: 12